School Buildings

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  jbell 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

jbell
    Keymaster

Topic to discuss any involvement with improving the energy efficiency of school buildings, or creating renewables at schools.

See also the Outreach group, which may contain related activity.

May 10, 2013 at 9:32 am #1208

jbell
    Keymaster

I went to the open day at St Mary’s School yesterday to look at their plans for expanding the school to take on another two years of pupils. In general the plans show a good use of space, and they are getting a new, more efficient boiler. The new parts will be built to current regs, and so will be more energy efficient.

There is an opportunity to help them find funds for more changes to the existing parts of the school at the same time (e.g. better insulation, lighting) + to fund a renewables project. I spoke with the Project Manager of the company overseeing the change, and although they would need convincing, they would be willing to allow us to do a site visit and look at what might be possible.

Who would be interested in taking this on as a project?

PS – the same people behind this build are also behind the Ashlyns building programme.

December 7, 2014 at 7:21 pm #1842

Seb Beloe
    Participant

Not really in respnse to John’s post above, but I had a successful meeting on Friday 5th Deember with trustees and the business manager from Bridgewater Schools along with two people from the Schools Energy Coop and it looks like we now have a second solar schools project underway (along with Ashlyns). If anyone is keen to get involved please contact me at beloe@live.co.uk.
    Thanks
    Seb

December 8, 2014 at 10:34 am #1885

wendyc

great news seb! I am happy to support if I can – just keep me in the loop. What is the latest on the Ashlyns project?

December 8, 2014 at 10:39 pm #1886

jbell
    Keymaster

Great work. On a roll. Is the team still Tom and yourself? How much involvement from us do you think they will need or want?

January 31, 2015 at 6:20 pm #1907

Seb Beloe
    Participant

Ashlyns Solar Project
    I went to a meeting on 29th January with Schools Energy Coop and Ashlyns to plan the fund raising for the Ashlyns solar project. Because of changes in Government policy, we need to complete the fund-raising by the beginning of March! The school is very keen and has a number of ideas on how to engage the students and their parents in the project including in raising money so that the school itself can buy shares in the scheme.
    The role of TTB will be primarily in helping to broadcast the message about the project to the wider community and to raise additional funds from people in the town and beyond. We can do this by publicising the project through the TTB network and by hosting a stall on the High Street. We also think that it will be a good idea to have a presentation of the project to anyone who might be interested in being involved and we could help organise this.
    The first thing will be to have a brief one-page introduction to the project which we can use as initial publicity. I will help put this together with the Schools Energy Coop but would really welcome support! Let me know if you’d like to help and perhaps we can make some time at the next Green Drinks to discuss further.

February 3, 2015 at 11:40 am #1908

jbell
    Keymaster

Yes, still on for being a part of a wider team on this, to help spread the load.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• NEXT GREEN DRINKS:

Our next Green Drinks will be held on 17th August at The Bull in Berkhamsted.  ALL WELCOME!
    Back to normal Green Drinks, held on the third Thursday every month, from 8pm, at The Old Mill, Berkhamsted on 21st September .

• LATEST NEWS:

• Transition Roadshow

butterflies

Transition Network

The Climate Coalition