B.WEL

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sue Hampton 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Sue Hampton

Here’s a proposal for how it could go. I’m happy to be the chair on this basis, since my brother Dave knows Polly so well and has supported her actively since 2010 (as have I, less actively, never having FELT it like I did on Wed) and I could use him as an on-hand advisor when necessary.
    B.WEL would be a campaigning group of individuals dedicated to spreading the word on Ecocide Law in and beyond Berkhamsted, operating through word of mouth, social media and the press.
    Instead of regular meetings (not just because I can rarely make them but because everyone’s already stretched and this is about ACTION beyond the group) B.WEL would meet once or twice a year to report on action taken, developments elsewhere and celebrate/encourage each other. In the meantime we would communicate online, sharing ideas and successes – not just with each other but as widely as possible.
    Of course lots of Transition Town people would be in the group but there may be others like me who are signed up to TTB but captured and driven emotionally by Eradicating Ecocide – much simpler to explain, in fact, and not subject to the accusatory/defensive model of carbon footprint exchanges in which it’s hard not to seem holier-than-thou. How the two groups would be affiliated is for everyone in TTB to consider. I can’t see why B.WEL couldn’t be a spin-off group from TTB while staying connected.
    I’ve been on the website doing some of the things on Polly’s list and suggest that as a starting point others doing the same.

February 11, 2014 at 7:48 pm #1632

My first post! I really enjoyed Polly’s talk and found her personally inspiring – I’d like to be involved with B-Wel – how about arranging a first meeting soon, just to capitalise on group energy created Polly’s talk, discuss and plan obvious actions suggested by Polly’s website and see if we can generate a wee plan all of our own!

How do we do a doodle to arrange a meeting? Or be old-fashioned an pluck a date out of the air for soon?

I am happy to pursue TTB mailing list to encourage members and new to talk people to get involved.

Bex Plenderleith

February 17, 2014 at 3:36 pm #1642

jbell
    Keymaster

It feels to me that we could lose the opportunity to make the most of the extra momentum gained from the Polly Higgins talk. I could send an email to the attendees of the talk to see who wants to help take things forward if someone else can draft it?

March 26, 2014 at 5:12 pm #1692

Sue Hampton

I’m feeling really excited that although apparently Polly was mistaken about Green Party policy, there will be a motion at the conference in September to change that. This is a result of all the online stuff I’ve been doing, not being a meetings or an evenings person. Any chance we could meet during the daytime one weekend? I’ve also got a piece about Ecocide Law in the next issue of All Saints’ church magazine and a magazine for The Guild Of Health, a national ecumenical charity.

March 27, 2014 at 9:21 am #1695

Sue Hampton

Just to add that my idea for a daytime meeting is to follow some of the ideas on Polly’s website and from a brilliantly encouraging book called Active Hope by Joanna Macey which I thoroughly recommend. You can get it from Foyles online rather than the dreaded Amazon.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• NEXT GREEN DRINKS:

Our next Green Drinks will be held on 16th November at The Bull in Berkhamsted.  ALL WELCOME!
    Green Drinks are held on the third Thursday every month, from 8pm.

• LATEST NEWS:

• Transition Roadshow

butterflies

Transition Network

The Climate Coalition